The second meal subscription box that I tried was Home Chef. Like with Blue Apron I had a gift card for $30 so I only paid $19.80 for two meals for two people.
When you sign up for Home Chef you decide how many meals you would like to have delivered per week (2-6) and for how many people (2, 4, or 6).
The you can decide what you prefer out of meat, seafood and vegetables and if you would like low calorie or low carb options.
Lastly, you pick if you are trying to avoid any of the following items:
- red meat
- mushrooms (I marked this off)
From there you are ready to select your meals. Each week they have 11 meal options (3 are vegetarian) plus a smoothie, a 5 min lunch (typically some sort of salad) and a seasonal fruit basket available to add to your two meals. With Home Chef you must select at least two meals in order to qualify for a delivery.
Also, for some reason, I have $20 credit it my account. So I’m waiting for another round of really yummy sounding meals to give it another go!
Home Chef meal #1 is…….
Tortilla Chicken with elote stlye acorn squash
- 1 acorn squash
- 1/2 oz. tortilla strips
- 1/4 oz. cilantro
- 1 tsp Sazon chipotle seasoning
- 2 oz sour cream
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 lime
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 oz shredded cheddar cheese
Like Blue Apron, everything is measured for you!
- Prep the ingredients and roast the squash
- The chipotle seasoning goes on top of the squash with some olive oil. This was the first time I had ever had acorn squash and it was delicious (everything cooks in a 400 degree oven)
- Sear the chicken and make the tortilla topping
Typically the jalapenos would go here also but I put them to the side because my boyfriend does not eat spicy food.
- Finish the chicken and squash.
- The picture on the left is when the chicken is first on the pan. On the right is when it’s done and the cheese is all melted.
- Make crema (sour cream and lime) and finish dish. Garnish with cilantro.
This meal was delicious! And so simple really, this can easily me duplicated.